Vipers Canoe Trip

Vipers Canoe Trip
So much more than playing and paddling

Friday, February 13, 2015

Knives, knives, and another knife

Every scouter will tell you he likes knifes. It goes with the outdoors. It goes with being a man. It goes with being a boy! I remember one of my best boyhood knifes. A spyderco. I loved that knife, it had a large opening for your thumb to help you open it quickly. Over the years, I have no idea what happened to it. I kinda expect it to show up one day when my son comes home from Grammys with extra stuff.

I've been wanting a new knife, really bad. I've had that urge to buy one. Not just any knife The perfect knife. Ive looked at stores, shopped the internet, even dreamed of a knife stuck in stone like the Excalibur just waiting for me.

Cue the angles from above and turn on the spot light to shine through the clouds, I think I found her.
The Spyderco Air.


I love the hooked bill of this blade. It has great curves!
The main frame of the knife is Ti, and the handles are glass fiber, and the blade is a special high carbon alloy.
The knife however does not have a pocket clip. I'm a little worried about it being so lightweight ( just a little over an ounce) that it might not stay in hiking shorts well. I wish it had a spot to place some para cord on it for a lanyard. 



This is the spyderco air and the SOG mini Aegis side by side. The SOG is a very nice knife. It has a speed assist opening which some people might not like, but has a great locking blade. It's also very light weight and has a pocket clip. This is my sons knife, and he learned about it at summer camp last year and just loved it. It's a little heavier than the Spyderco Air but not by much.



In my quest to find "the knife" I also bought these CRKT knifes. They aren't bad but I wouldn't suggest them unless you got a good deal on them like I did. I think on WOOT they we're around $20, that's not too bad for a descent knife. 
The Japanese looking knife, is hard to open. That thumb grip on it, doesn't work so great. The handle is also kinda thick.
The green CRKT knife has a ball and spring in the thumb assist. Not a good idea. I've had sand and dirt get in it and stop it from working.
Even though it has that problem, I still carry it a lot. Mainly because I don't really care if I loose it.

Is the Spyderco Air going to be my favorite knife? I don't know. Right now I like it a lot. However the price of the knife may stop,me from carrying it much..........all that being said, that's an awesome blade design, I'm sure it will be a great knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment